This chicken fried steak recipe is a grain-free version of one of my favorite childhood meals. It’s like a great big southern hug with country-style gravy on top. We love it with mashed potatoes (or cauliflower fauxtatoes), green beans slathered in butter, and a big salad with homemade ranch dressing. Let’s get started, shall we?
Grain-Free Chicken Fried Steak
- medium bowl
- meat tenderizer
- 1 lb cube steak or round steak
- 3-5 eggs (whisked)
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 3 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp black pepper
- tallow or coconut oil (for frying)
- If you're working with cube steak most of the tenderizing has already been done, but give it a few whacks to thin it out a bit. Round steaks need a bit more work, but they should look something like this when you're done.
- Place whisked eggs in a medium bowl. In a separate medium bowl mix together almond flour, coconut flour, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and pepper.
- Place each steak in the bowl of whisked egg and coat thoroughly.
- Dredge steaks in the flour mixture. Set aside to rest for 3-5 minutes.
- While you're waiting, preheat a saucepan on medium heat with enough oil to generously coat the bottom.
- Place steaks in pan (if it doesn't sizzle it's not hot enough!) and fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Top with this creamy dreamy homestyle gravy and enjoy!