I love apple picking season and all that comes along with it (hello hot apple cider!). I’m always experimenting with other ways to enjoy apples without a lot of grains and added sugar. These apple fritters are not only delicious, they are simple to make too!
Healthy Cinnamon Apple Fritters in 15 Minutes or Less
When you think of fall apple desserts, you usually think of apple pie or apple crisp, but what about apple fritters?
While you’re probably horrified that I’m recommending a version of a fried doughnut (usually found at the fair), let me explain…
Thanks to a light egg + arrowroot batter, the star in this recipe is actually the apple! The light doughy layer is made without grains and only a touch of sugar and lightly “fried” in coconut oil.
The result is a fun fall dessert that is as simple as slicing an apple!
Other Ways to Use Apples
- Slow cooker apples with salted caramel sauce – These “baked” apples can be quickly put together before bed, then the whole kitchen is filled a delicious aroma in the morning.
- Easy apple sandwiches with bacon – My husband was pretty skeptical of these when I first served them, but he LOVED them. They’re quick and easy to make and so delicious!
- Easy chicken salad recipe – This light and easy chicken salad recipe is my favorite ways to keep mealtime simple. It’s sweet with a bit of tang, and the apples and nuts give it just the right amount of crunch.
- Caramel apples – Did you know that you can make caramel apples from scratch with only THREE ingredients, including the apples!
- Paleo Apple Crisp – If you’d like a more traditional apple recipe, this paleo apple crisp looks intriguing. It uses coconut flakes and pecans in the topping.
Easy Cinnamon Apple Fritters Recipe
For the Apples:
- Peel, core, and slice the apples into 5 slices each.
- In a medium size bowl combine the apple slices with the 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 tablespoon sugar, and lemon juice.
- Gently mix until all the apple slices are evenly coated.
- Set the apples aside.
For the Batter:
- Place 1 inch of coconut oil for frying in a skillet and heat.
- While the oil is heating, in another bowl prepare the batter by combining and mixing together the arrowroot flour, the 2 tablespoons sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add the eggs and maple syrup and stir to combine.
- When the oil is hot, work in batches dipping each apple slice into the batter and dropping gently into the oil to fry.
- Cook 1-2 minutes on each side then transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Repeat until all the apples are cooked.
For the Glaze:
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl until combined.
- Let cool slightly then enjoy plain, with the optional glaze listed above, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert!
Have you ever made a healthy fried dessert? What’s your favorite?