Maybe it’s a temporary growth spurt, or maybe I need a second fridge. Either way, lately my boys have been coming in from an afternoon of play ready to inhale everything in sight. Sometimes they ask me what’s for breakfast when I tuck them into bed. If they knew second breakfast was a thing, they’d be asking about that, too.
And I love it. I love that they play hard and then fill their bellies with nourishing food. But also? I don’t want to be in the kitchen all day. Adapted from these buffalo chicken stuffed sweet potatoes, these BBQ chicken stuffed sweet potatoes are one of my “go to” recipes right now because they’re full of flavor, satisfying, and easy to make.
We usually load ours up chicken slathered in honey chipotle BBQ sauce, cheddar cheese, diced green onions, cilantro and a dollop of sour cream, but they’re delicious with banana peppers and red onions, too. They also go great with a big salad and homemade ranch dressing – I hope you love them as much as we do!
Chipotle BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 pound cooked chicken shredded
- 4-5 large sweet potatoes
- 1 batch honey chipotle BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup diced sweet red onion or chives/green onion (optional)
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese optional - we like cheddar
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F. If needed, wash and dry the sweet potatoes. Using a fork, poke 4-5 sets of holes in the skin, then place on a baking sheet and pop in the oven for about 40 minutes to an hour.
- While the potatoes are cooking, make the honey chipotle BBQ sauce.
- Around the 40 minute mark, check on the sweet potatoes. You'll know they're ready when you can slide a fork in and the flesh is very soft.
- When the sweet potatoes are ready, turn the oven off and let them sit in the oven while you prepare the BBQ chicken. In a saucepan, combine 1 cup of BBQ sauce with the shredded chicken and heat until chicken is warm/hot. Remove pan from heat and pull the sweet potatoes from the oven. Stuff the chicken in the sweet potatoes, dividing equally and adding additional BBQ sauce if desired. Add toppings of your choice (cheddar cheese, diced green onions, cilantro, sour cream, banana peppers, red onions, etc.) and serve.