Although all my kids love to eat, one in particular has a habit of declaring his love for everyone at the table when something hits the spot. When I really knock it out of the park he gets up from his chair and hugs each of us! He’s kind of my personal recipe rating system, and this tomatoey, cheesy adaptation of traditional sloppy joes got a big thumbs up.
It’s super easy to make with my five minute ketchup recipe, and if anyone in your family likes a bit of spice it can be topped with some red pepper flakes. I hope it gets rave reviews at your house like it did in mine. (And if it does, you can pass them along with the new recipe rating system in the comments. 🙂 )
Sloppy Joe Stuffed Peppers
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Cut the bell peppers in half and remove seeds and pith. Place in a baking dish and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- While you're waiting for the bell peppers to come out of the oven, heat a skillet on the stove. Add a little coconut oil and your beef and onions. Saute until browned on the outside and just a little pink inside.
- Add ketchup, mustard and pepper to the skillet and mix thoroughly. Remove from heat.
- When the peppers have cooked for 15 minutes, remove them from the oven. Divide the sloppy joe mixture evenly among the peppers and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking pan from the oven and set the oven to broil. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the peppers and place it back in the oven until the cheese is melted, then serve.