It’s happened to you, too right? You’re scrolling through Facebook and some divine looking recipe flits across your feed. Before you know it your rummaging through your pantry to check for ingredients, because this recipe needs to happen right. now.
(Seriously, not just me, right?)
Now, usually I am more of a steak and kale salad person than a dessert person, but this happened to me recently when I came across a scrumptious looking lemon blueberry bread. I didn’t have the ingredients (strike one) and we don’t live near a grocery store (strike two), but I had a mission.
My kids can see when this happens to me, and they hover near the kitchen like seagulls waiting to swoop in and lick unattended bowls.
The result? This sweet and tangy lemon bread with vanilla glaze. It’s made with wholesome ingredients and I’ve been told by a certain Starbucks Lemon Loaf lover that’s it’s just as satisfying as store-bought. I hope your family loves it as much as we do!
Lemon Bread Recipe (Gluten-Free, Paleo)
- Lemon Bread
- 1 1/3 cups almond flour this is what I use
- 1/4 cup coconut flour where to find it
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt find it here
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda find it here
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup I buy honey locally when possible but you can also find it here, and find maple syrup here
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter coconut oil or sustainably harvested palm shortening, melted (where to buy coconut oil, where to buy palm shortening)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract where to buy lemon extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract buy vanilla extract here or use homemade vanilla extract
- Vanilla Glaze
- 3 tablespoons coconut butter melted over low heat (find coconut butter here)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon honey find it here
- 2 tablespoons water or more if needed to reach desired consistency
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract buy vanilla extract here or use homemade vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Grease a 1.5 quart loaf pan and line it with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, stir together almond flour, coconut flour, sea salt, lemon zest, and baking soda until well combined. In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, 1/3 cup honey, lemon juice, butter (or coconut oil or palm shortening), lemon extract and vanilla extract. Add liquid mixture to flour mixture and stir until well combined. Pour bread batter into the loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
- When the bread is ready, set it aside to cool while you work on the glaze. Place 3 tablespoons coconut butter, 1 ½ teaspoons honey, 2 tablespoons water, and 1/8 teaspoon vanilla in a small pan. Place over low heat and stir constantly until the texture is smooth and spreadable, adding more water if necessary. When the lemon bread has cooled, spread the glaze over the top, then slice and serve.