As many of you know, I am very, very pregnant. Pretty soon hummingbirds are going to get their center of gravity confused and start orbiting my midsection, I just know it.
Right now I’m all about satisfying, easy meals that are also nourishing. This 8 Layer Dip fits the bill, and you can easily make double batches of the meat/beans and freeze the extra for an easy meal later on.
8 Layer Dip
- 2 quart serving dish
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 1 batch black beans with cumin (see recipe below)
- 1 cup raw cheddar cheese (shredded)
- ½ cup sour cream (how to make sour cream)
- 1 ½ cups tomatoes (diced)
- ¾ cup yellow or white onion (chopped)
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 3 – 4 avocados
- 3 lemons
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (you can sub ghee, lard or tallow – how to render lard)
- salt & pepper
Preparing The Black Beans With Cumin:
- Place beans in the crockpot or a bowl, add 8 cups of warm water and the whey, apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. Soak overnight (8-12 hours).
- Pour beans into a colander, rinse with filtered water, then place them back into the crock pot.
- Place onion, jalapeno pepper, salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder in the crockpot. Cover with water. They should be nice and plump already from soaking and so will not expand much, but make sure they are well-covered. Set on high for 8 hours.
- Once the beans are tender, strain them and reserve the liquid. Use a potato masher or mallet to mash the beans. If they are too dry, add some of the reserve liquid.
- Add more salt if needed.
Preparing & Layering The Dip:
- Mash avocados with juice of two lemons and a little salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Warm coconut oil, ghee, tallow or lard in a pan over low/medium heat.
- Add ground beef, salt;, pepper and 2 tsp cumin and sautee until cooked through. Place it in your serving dish.
- Layer refried beans on top of the ground beef.
- Add cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, onions and cilantro.
- Top with mashed avocado and you’re done!