Beef Jerky: The Original Protein Bar
Maybe you free climb 200 foot cliffs, play underwater hockey, or race down an active volcano on a handmade sled. Me? My version of extreme sports involves racing through the house to put pants on everyone when someone pulls up in the driveway.
No matter what adventure is ahead, we all need on-the-go sources of nourishment that won’t cause a sugar crash. Made with just three ingredients, this homemade beef jerky recipe is my favorite “protein bar.” It’s intensely flavorful and ridiculously easy, and because it’s made with ground beef instead of tougher cuts like flank steak, there’s no need to bother with marinating ahead of time. Just mix the flavor right in and dry immediately – easy peasy!
Beef Jerky Recipe
- parchment paper
- pizza cutter
- Add ingredients to a bowl and mix thoroughly
- Step 2: Using your hands, press the mixture onto a dehydrator sheet lined with Paraflexx or parchment paper. The mixture should be about 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick, and if you'd like you can shape it into a square for more uniform pieces.
- Step 3: Using a pizza cutter or butter knife, gently score the mixture into pieces
- Step 4: Dehydrate at 155°F for about four hours, then flip and dehydrate until completely dry
- When the jerky is "done" is somewhat subjective. I prefer mine to be on the chewy side so I remove it after about six hours. It will firm up quite a bit as it cools, so when you're making your first batch I recommend taking it out around the five hour mark . . . you can always pop it back in if after a few hours it's not firm enough.