If you haven’t already made up a batch of this five-minute masala chai mix, now is the time to infuse its warm flavors into everything in your kitchen. Okay, maybe not everything, but definitely your tea and these chai cookies.
Spiced with ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, cloves, nutmeg and a smidge of black pepper, they’re soft, chewy, and easy to make. Although I used to think of them as a “holiday cookie,” I’ve actually come to enjoy this spice blend in just about every season, even the summer when I add it to my home churned vanilla ice cream.
So – at least in my house – we don’t file this recipe away for just one season. We enjoy them all through the year, and I hope you will too!
Spiced Chai Cookies Recipe (Gluten-Free, Paleo)
- medium bowl
- baking sheet
- measuring spoons
For the Sugar Coating
- 1 ½ tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp chai spice mix
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together the sugar coating ingredients (coconut sugar and chai spice mix) and pour them on a small plate. Set aside for now.
- Combine the dry ingredients (almond flour, coconut sugar, chai spice mix, arrowroot, baking soda, and salt) in a medium bowl.
- Whisk the egg and vanilla together in a small bowl and then add them to the dry ingredients along with the melted butter/coconut oil. MIx until the dough forms a ball, then pick it up and knead it a few times with your hands.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop out one heaping tablespoon of cookie dough, roll it into a ball, and then flatten it between your palms.
- Press one side of the cookie into the sugar coating and then place it on the baking sheet with the sugared side facing up. Continue this process until all the cookies are on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then allow the cookies to rest for 5 minutes before serving them. These cookies are best served warm so I recommend eating them right away. If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for a day or two, in the fridge for a few days, or in the freezer for up to six months.
More Gluten-Free Cookie Recipes To Try
Chocolate Chip Cookies – This recipe is one of my family’s tried-and-true favorite recipes. They’re ready in about 20 minutes from start to finish.
Browned Butter Pecan Cookies – These scrumptious pecan cookies are chewy, buttery, and so delicious. You only need seven ingredients to make them!