Growing up, I watched my mom and three aunts roll, dust, and whip their way to pie perfection. Flaky crusts, sumptuous filling and satisfied bellies were the order of the day. Sometimes two words just don’t seem to mix, though, and “easy” and “pie” were on that list for me.
A few years and multiple complications later – like learning to bake without refined sugar or gluten – it seemed almost impossible. But trust me, it’s so much easier than you might think.
It’s as easy as . . . pie.
Making gluten-free pumpkin pie for the holidays has become one of my favorite simple pleasures. Made with warming spices like ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg, this recipe is creamy and rich with just the right amount of sweetness.
Oh, and just for fun, I’ve recorded a quick tutorial on how to crimp your pie crust to make it more decorative.
Pumpkin Pie Recipe (Gluten-Free, Paleo)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Cut pumpkin in half and scoop out seeds. I’ve found that an ice cream scoop works well for this. Don’t throw the seeds away! Check out this recipe for roasted pumpkin seeds with chili & lime from Jenny at Nourished Kitchen. They are one of my favorite movie snacks!
- Place pumpkin halves cut side down in a baking dish and add 1/4 inch water.
- Remove from the oven when you can easily pierce the shell with a fork (about 45 minutes – 1 hour)
- Scoop out the flesh, mash it, and measure out three cups. Place in a food processor or blender and add the coconut milk, eggs, honey and spices. Puree until smooth.
- Divide filling between 2 pie crusts and bake at 350 for 45 minutes to one hour. If you have one of these pie crust protectors, place it over the edges of the crust. If not, lay thin strips of foil over the crust to prevent it from burning.
Want more delicious, easy recipes?
No problem, I’ve created a free ebook for you – 35+ Gluten-Free Desserts – as a gift for signing up for my newsletter. Every Sunday you’ll get recipes, actionable health tips, and highly-vetted product recommendations delivered fresh to your inbox.
Sign up using the form below.