Daddypotamus: “This cannot be healthy.”
Katiepotamus: “It is helfee, Daddy!”
Daddypotamus: “It tastes too good.”
Munch, munch, munch.
Now, I take exception to the idea that junk food tastes better than real, nutrient dense food. But the fact of the matter is that my husband’s palate was trained on McDonald’s and he may never fully recover from that. That’s why I considered it a near-miracle when both he and Katie devoured a raw broccoli slaw delivered by my friend Whittney after Micah was born. It’s too good to keep a secret, so whip up a batch and enjoy!
Whittney's Broccoli Salad Recipe
- medium bowl
- large bowl
- mixing spoon
- 6 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 cup red seedless grapes
- 1 cup red onion (finely chopped)
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ¾ cup crisp bacon (crumbled into pieced -- pastured if possible)
- 1 cup mayo (We love our homemade recipe. The trick to getting it thick is to pour the oil in super slow.)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (raw if possible)
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Mix mayonnaise, cheddar, honey and lemon juice in a medium bowl
- Place broccoli, grapes and onion in a large bowl.
- Pour in dressing and mix thoroughly.
- Sprinkle bacon and sunflower seeds over the top and serve.