It transforms butternut squash in to grain-free mini-pizzas, spinach into a dish worth making again and again, and plain old broccoli into hearty, belly warming goodness. I’m talking about cheese, of course.
If you’ve ever encountered an opinionated eater in your home, you know that a little can go a long way in making a dish more enticing. In this recipe, cream and cheese actually serve a dual purpose – increasing the yum factor while also providing a key source of dietary fat. One of broccoli’s primary nutrients, vitamin K1, is best absorbed when consumed with fat, so it’s a win-win. (source)
As a bonus, broccoli is also considered a good source of natural folate, which is extra important for the estimated 50% of the population that has the MTHFR genetic mutation.
This broccoli cheese soup has a higher ratio of broccoli than most – the cheese is more or less a vehicle for getting more broccoli (and bone broth!) into little bellies. It’s super easy and little potami approved – I hope your family loves it as much as we do!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 lbs broccoli florets fresh or previously frozen and thawed
- 1 large carrot grated
- ½ medium onion diced (about 2/3 cup)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 8 oz cheddar (grated)
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- sea salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- bacon (crumbled - optional topping)
- cheese (grated - optional topping)
- green onions (sliced - optional topping)
- In a large pot, sauté the onion in butter until slightly softened.
- Add in the broth, cream, broccoli and carrot and simmer on low until the veggies are soft – about 20 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and arrowroot flour and remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste and allow to thicken for five minutes. If desired, blend some (or all) of the soup to make it smoother. I grab my immersion blender and give it a whir in the pot. Top with bacon or other garnish if desired and serve.
More Delicious Soup Recipes
Tortilla Soup – Fresh cilantro leaves and a hint of lime meld with the subtle heat of poblano and jalapeno peppers in this belly warming chicken tortilla soup recipe. It’s one of my favorite ways to use homemade bone broth and leftover whole roast chicken.
Stuffed Pepper Soup – This hearty soup is perfect for chilly winter days. You can make a double batch and freeze half for an easy meal later on, too.