Fresh cilantro leaves and a hint of lime meld with the subtle heat of poblano and jalapeno peppers in this belly warming chicken tortilla soup recipe. It’s one of my favorite ways to use homemade bone broth and leftover whole roast chicken.
Don’t be afraid to get creative with the toppings – sour cream, avocado, cilantro, green onions, fermented jalapenos and cheese are some of my family’s favorites. And if you need an easy side dish to go with it, this Easy Spanish Rice or this Mexican-Style Chopped Salad will do just fine.
Not sure about what kind of tortilla chips to use?
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 poblano peppers (seeded and chopped)
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 18 oz whole peeled tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ jalapeno (seeded and finely diced – add more if you like spicier foods)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 – 3 tsp sea salt (start with 2 then check to see if more is needed)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 limes (juiced, plus wedges for garnish)
- 3 ½ cups chicken (shredded and cooked)
- ½ cup tightly packed cilantro (chopped)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or cojito cheese
- tortilla chips (you can substitute grain-free tortilla chips or plantain chips)
- sour cream
- cilantro (extra for garnish)
- red onion (chopped)
- green onion (chopped)
- pico de gallo
- In a wide-bottomed pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and sautee until tender.
- Add garlic, jalapenos, and poblano pepper. Sautee for another minute, then pour in the whole tomatoes. Chop them in to quarters using a spatula.
- Stir in broth and tomato paste.
- Season with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and paprika.
- Bring pot to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in lime juice, cilantro and shredded chicken.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and top with sliced avocado. Serve with cheddar cheese and tortilla chips/grain-free tortilla chips/plaintain chips and lime wedges.
More Delicious Soup Recipes
Egg Drop Soup – Simple and quick, this protein-packed egg drop soup is my “go to” recipe when I need to get something on the table fast.
Stuffed Pepper Soup – This hearty soup is perfect for chilly winter days. You can make a double batch and freeze half for an easy meal later on, too.