The first time kohlrabi arrived in my CSA box, I posted a photo of it on Facebook with “What is this, and what can I do with it??” Turns out, a lot of things: add it to slaw, roast it with salt, toss it into soup, or better yet, make kohlrabi fritters.
We planted it in our garden this year, which means I’ve tried it lots of different ways. This particular recipe from the new Wellness Mama Cookbook is my absolute favorite. The texture is reminiscent of crab cakes – moist and tender on the inside, delightfully crispy on the outside. And the dill + lemon combination in the creamy avocado sauce? SO GOOD.
Kohlrabi Fritters From The Wellness Mama Cookbook
- sharp knife
- box grater
- large bowl
- large spoon
- large skillet
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 organic lemon (Zest and juice)
- ¼ cup fresh dill (finely minced)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 large kohlrabi bulbs
- 1 large onion
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ cup arrowroot powder (or flour - plus more if needed)
- coconut oil (for frying)
- Halve the avocado, remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and place in a food processor. Add the yogurt and blend until smooth. Stir in the lemon zest and juice, dill, and garlic powder and set aside.
- Peel the kohlrabi with a sharp knife. Grate the kohlrabi and onion with a box grater.
- Wrap the grated kohlrabi and onion in a large clean dish towel, twist both ends, and squeeze tightly to remove any excess moisture and wilt the kohlrabi. Place the mixture in a large bowl. Add the eggs, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne and mix with a large spoon until combined.
- Stir in the arrowroot. If there is still liquid visible in the bowl, add more arrowroot to absorb and stir well to combine.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat enough oil so that when melted, you have ¼ inch oil. Scoop out about ⅓ cup of the kohlrabi mixture and form into patties by hand. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until golden brown, and repeat until the entire mixture has been used. Season lightly with salt and serve topped withe the avocado-yogurt sauce.