When one of your kids mistakes cumin for cinnamon while baking, it’s not a happy accident. These little pieces of sunshine, on the other hand . . . . very happy. You see, I was trying to make these scrumptious vanilla bean coconut macaroons for guests, but in a flurry of activity, I replaced the vanilla with lemon extract.
Oh. my. goodness. It was a sweet sunshiney epiphany, delivered bite-by-bite. After making a few more batches I decided to add in some lemon zest to make them more lemony. I hope you love them as much as we do!
Chewy Lemon Coconut Macaroons Recipe
- In a bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut, lemon zest and salt.
- Add 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon of honey to all of the coconut oil and all of the lemon extract. Mix until well combined.
- Using a rounded "measuring" tablespoon, gently press the macaroon dough into the spoon, then turn the spoon upside down and tap the cookie out into your hand. If it falls apart add one more tablespoon honey. Gently place on a parchment lined baking sheet and repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Bake in a 195-200F (90-93C) oven for about 45-50 minutes. The outside should be dried out a bit and the inside should be soft and chewy.
- Allow the macaroons to sit for at least 15 minute before transferring. They're delicate while still warm but very sturdy once cooled.