Most of us want the little things for Mother’s Day, like a 24-hour period in which someone picks up after us, feeds us, and handles all the household chores while we take a nap. Basically we want to be our kids, right?
Of course, if someone wants to gift us something a little extra special, too, who are we to argue with that? My mind usually goes blank whenever anyone asks me what I want for my birthday/Christmas/any gift giving day, so I compiled this list based on gifts I’ve received and loved, items I use all the time, and things that are on my wish list. In case you have trouble coming up with ideas, too, I thought I’d pass it along.
And because Mother’s Day is also about loving on the mamas in our lives – our own, a mother-in-law, a step-mom, or maybe a woman who stepped in and loved us like a mama – I’ve included some ideas that have received rave reviews from the women in my life.
If there’s something that you’ve received (and loved) that’s not listed here, please share it in the comments below!
Gifts Under $30
1. Coconut Milk Bath – Add a few tablespoons (or more) for a luxurious, deeply hydrating bath soak experience. Herbivore’s milk bath comes in a branded box that works well for gifting.
2. Minima Balance Double-Walled Tea Mug– I use this mug almost every day for my evening passionflower tea.
3. Magnesium Lotion – Magnesium is often called the “magic mineral” due to its ability to relax achy muscles, mitigate the effects of stress, and calm the mind by supporting the production of the neurotransmitter GABA. This study also suggests that magnesium may improve sleep quality by increasing melatonin levels and decreasing cortisol levels. Unfortunately for some people, magnesium oil can cause an itchy or uncomfortable sensation when applied in undiluted form. This magnesium lotion solves that by blending skin-calming ingredients like apricot oil, mango butter, and beeswax with high potency transdermal magnesium.
4. Verilux HappyLight – It’s no secret that moms love sleep, and we use an incredible amount of focus and energy everyday just keeping #allthethings going. Setting early morning sunlight is amazing for supporting mood, focus, energy levels, and deep sleep at night, so all moms get outside early in the morning, right?
If you’re shaking your head and laughing, let me introduce you to the Verilux HappyLight. It allows moms to bring the sleep supporting, mood lifting and focus/energy benefits of early morning sunlight inside as they get ready for the day.
5. Fontana Candle Company (SAVE 15% WITH CODE MP15) – Unlike paraffin candles, which release carcinogens like toluene and benzene into the air, these vibrantly scented candles are made with just three simple ingredients – beeswax, coconut oil, and pure essential oils. Fontana Candle Company is the first to receive MADE SAFE® certification for its candles.
6. Zer0 Nail Polish from 100% Pure – These polishes are free of formaldehyde, toluene, dibutyl phthalate, phthalates, formaldehyde resin and other harmful ingredients commonly found in nail polish. They’re gluten-free, too.
7. “Words To Live By” Hidden Message Bracelet – These stainless steel bracelets contain a hidden message that is inscribed on the inside. Many of the inscriptions are inspirational phrases – my personal favorite is “Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations” – but some are, uh, not quite as mildly phrased. If profanity offends you be aware that there are quite a few on the product listing alongside other options. The bracelet comes in a nice box that works well for gifting.
8. Milk Frother – For lattes, matcha tea, hot cocoa, moon milk and more.
9. Natural Bath Bombs Gift Set – Handmade in the United States using high quality ingredients like organic shea butter, Dead Sea salt, kaolin clay and essential oils like eucalyptus, vanilla and chamomile, these bath bombs are beautifully packaged for gifting.
10. Shower Scalp Massager– In addition to just feeling amazing, this scalp massager removes dandruff and/or hair product buildup and helps clear clogged follicles. (Clogged follicles impair normal hair growth.)
11. 100% Silk Pillowcase – Cotton and polyester pillowcases create more friction on skin and hair than silk, which some people say contributes to morning puffiness and more frizzy hair for people with wavy or curly hair. Cotton also tends to absorb oil and bacteria, which may lead to breakouts for some people. Silk tends to absorb less, which is why some dermatologists recommend it for acne-prone or sensitive skin.
12. Purity Coffee (SAVE 20% WITH CODE MP20) – For the houses that run on laughter, love, and coffee. This is the only coffee I’ve found that is both organic and screened for mycotoxins and pesticides. Also, they use a unique roasting process that maximizes antioxidants while minimizing stuff your body doesn’t want like acrylamide.
Gifts Under $50
13. The Making Herbal Preparations 101 Course from Herbal Academy – Perfect for the curious beginner herbalist, this course covers the four basic categories of herbal preparations, 12 everyday safe herbs to use at home, and 33 DIY herbal recipes from teas and tinctures to salves and oils.
This course will guide you or your recipient through 7 convenient and compact lessons that are chock-full of hands-on activities, videos, and helpful herbal charts to guide them on their way to making herbal preparations at home.
14. Toups & Co Tallow Balm (SAVE 10% WITH CODE MP10)– Tallow is uniquely compatible with our skin’s biology, leaving it supple and nourished after use. My friend Emilie makes the best whipped tallow balm I’ve ever tried. It smells amazing, and she’s carefully formulated the essential oils in each blend to be safe for use on the face and with children. I’m using the Frankincense blend right now and I love it.
15. Glass Tea Kettle – Any time I post about the benefits of a specific herbal tea on Instagram, I almost always receive as many comments about the kettles I use as the herbs themselves. I love this one because it can be used on the stovetop to brew for blooming teas, loose leaf teas that plump up when steeped, and fresh herbs and/or citrus. One important thing to know about all stovetop safe glass teapots, though, is that they’re intended to be used over MEDIUM heat, not HIGH heat.
This option was one of my very first glass teapots and it’s still in great shape many years later. It includes a fine mesh filter that makes it perfect for cut and sifted dried herbs or loose leaf tea. And since the filter is removable, it can also be used for blooming tea. Don’t use it on the stove, though. It’s just made for steeping. For a full list of glass teapots I recommend check out this article.
Gifts Under $75
16. DefenderShield Phone Case – Independently tested by the FCC, this phone case uses conductive, non-conductive and advanced absorption shielding materials together to block, divert, and absorb EMFs, Radio Frequency (RF) and heat radiation.
17. Haus Apéritif Botanical Cocktail Kit – Popular in Europe for centuries and now increasingly popular in the U.S., apéritifs are low-ABV alcohols (less than whiskey, more than wine) that have been infused with fruits, herbs, and botanicals. Haus uses organic ingredients whenever possible and this kit comes with 20+ recipes to try. The set includes four flavors:
- Citrus Flower – Lemon, Orange Peel & Elderflower
- New Fashioned – Saigon Cinnamon, Ginger & Clove
- Grapefruit Jalapeño – Grapefruit, Jalapeño & Makrut Lime Leaf
- Rose Rosé – Strawberry, Raspberry & Dried Wild Rose
18. Ear Seeds – Created by licensed acupuncturist Elie Goldschmidt, L.Ac., ear seeding is a needle-free way to influence the nervous system in ways that – depending on the specific points use – is thought to support skin clarity, ease feelings of stress and anxiousness, support focus, deepen sleep and more. Known as auriculotherapy, this modality involves placing a small seed on the cartilage of your outer ear and fixing it into place with clear or flesh-colored adhesive. When an acupuncturist recommended (and placed) ear seeds for me awhile ago I found that massaging the area a few times a day increased my feelings of relaxation and well-being.
Gifts Over $75
19. Mache (SAVE 10% WITH CODE MP10) – More and more of us are working out from home, and sometimes that means random equipment cluttering up our living spaces. Mache makes yoga mat storage options that keep mats and yoga blocks tidy and accessible while adding an infusion of style. They’re sustainably made, too.
20. KitchenAid Stand Mixer – This beautiful and practical mixer is on my wishlist for making cakes, light and airy frostings, homemade donuts and more. I also love the gorgeous colors that this model comes in.
21. Alitura Skincare – Developed by Andy Hnilo, an actor/model whose jaw was broken in five places when he was hit by a car, these products were formulated it to help his scars heal and they did an amazing job. The ingredients are very clean. I especially like the night cream, which includes stem cells from the edelweiss plant and grass-fed colostrum. It’s incredibly rich and luxurious, and a little goes a long way.
22. Personalized Spinner Ring (Sterling Silver) – My husband gave me a ring similar to this one with my kids names stamped on it years ago and I still absolutely love it.
23. Bearaby Weighted Blanket – These handmade weighted blankets are made with a gorgeous chunky knit that’s as beautiful as it is functional. Bearaby uses organic cotton, and their blankets are washable. I’ve tested their cotton napper and my kids have tested their Nappling which is absolutely adorable. You can see them all here.
24. Dry Farm Wines – Every wine is grown with organic practices and doesn’t contain Mega Purple food coloring or sawdust, which are just some of the 70+ approved additives used in conventional wine. Each bottle is virtually sugar-free, containing less than 1g/L of total sugars (including fructose and glucose). They can be gifted as a set or individually. I prefer to give them individually wrapped in jute wine bottle gift bags.
Dry Farm Wines also creates curated collections of 6 or 12 bottles of red or white wine that can be delivered directly to your recipient’s door. They offer an annual membership as a gift, but you can also buy individual boxes here. If the box won’t arrive in time for Mother’s Day, you can gift a cute wine stopper with a card letting them know to expect a special delivery.
25. Lifepro Vibration Plate (SAVE $10 WITH CODE MP10) – My first experience with whole body vibration therapy was at a wellness clinic, and it made such a difference in my overall well-being that I bought one when I returned home. It supports detoxification (via lymphatic drainage) and calms the sympathetic (fight or flight) nervous system. It can also be used to amplify the effectiveness of exercise, and my husband and I use it for at-home workouts.
26. Sound + Sleep SE Noise Machine– If you’ve ever tried to drown out the sound of barking dogs, loud neighbors, or other disruptive sounds, you know how helpful sound machines can be for falling (and staying) asleep.
Unfortunately, white noise machines contain harsh, high-pitched frequencies that can actually raise cortisol levels, which is why many manufacturers have begun offering other (more soothing) colors of noise – particularly pink and brown.
In nature, you’ll find pink noise by listening to the sound of crashing waves or rustling leaves, while brown noise is deeper . . . think rumbling thunder or the low roar of a large waterfall.
With 64 settings, the Sound + Sleep SE pretty much has it all. Most of the settings are natural sounds that have been recorded in the environment – a few are fan sounds and such – but you won’t find any annoying or abrupt noises within the real-life recordings.
Here are some other reasons to consider it:
- It has an adaptive microphone, which means that if your environment gets louder it will increase volume to mask it.
- There are a range of pink and brown noises to try. For example, the water sounds are mostly brown noise with a little pink sprinkled in, and the plane setting is on the higher end of pink (close to white) which can be helpful for tinnitus.
- The front panel dims so you’re not getting loads of circadian-disrupting light at night.
- Can play continuous sound all night, but also comes with an optional timer that can be set for 30, 60, 90 or 120 minutes.
Handmade Gift Ideas
Family Photo Slideshow – My husband created a slideshow that automatically plays on our TV everyday, and it’s my favorite “handmade” gift of all time. I love how it reminds me of all the memories my family has made together, and it inspires me to keep making (and documenting!) new ones.
The “how” of creating the slideshow will vary based on your TV and technological setup, so part of the gift will probably include figuring that part out. For the technologically challenged, an inexpensive digital photo frame might be needed to display the slideshow. I prefer non-“smart” or Wifi-enabled options that use USB or SD cards instead. This one has lots of good reviews.
Butterfly Footprint Keepsake – When my kids were little I used their footprints to make “butterflies” on canvas. They make great wall art for grandparents or for you if someone in your family is artsy and wants to take on the project. 🙂
Lotion Bars – Luxurious and silky smooth, lotion bars melt slightly when rubbed against the warmth of your skin, leaving a layer of moisture that softens and protects. They are perfect both in the dry winter months and as a summertime after-sun soother. Many people find them especially helpful for dry patches on elbows, knees, feet and hands. I keep one in my purse, another one in a soap dish next to the kitchen sink for when I finish the dishes, and a few in my pantry to give away.
If these ideas are not quite what you’re looking for, you can more handmade gift inspiration here.
What did I miss? Please share your gift ideas in the comments below!
Read My Comment Policy
Heather D (also)
Heather! I was sure on one of these lists in previous years there was a sort of electric face tool wrinkle reducer that was designed by a former plastic surgeon nurse? I have never been able to find it again. I think the unit itself was around $80-$100. Am I imagining that it was here? i love your lists btw – got the Luna blankets at xmas!
Hi Heather (also) 🙂 – Unfortunately I think you must have seen that mention somewhere else.
Thank you, Heather, for these gift ideas. They are unique, clean, and variety too.
To keep the body in good shape and to revitalize it, Yoga is an excellent technique, and your article about it’s very useful. If you want to learn yoga, SanskritiYogPeeth is one of the top yoga teachers training in Rishikesh. Here you will learn from the very beginning and proceed to the advanced level. You will improve your yoga and fitness skills here.