Most of us want the little things for Mother’s Day – a 24-hour period in which someone picks up after us, feeds us, and handles all the household chores while we take a nap. Basically we want to be our kids, right?
Of course, if someone wants to gift us something a little extra special, too, who are we to argue with that? Personally, my mind goes blank whenever anyone asks me what I want for my birthday/Christmas/any gift giving day, so I compiled this list based on gifts I’ve received and loved, items I use all the time, and things that are on my wish list. In case you have trouble coming up with ideas, too, I thought I’d pass it along.
And because Mother’s Day is also about loving on the mamas in our lives – our own, a mother-in-law, a step-mom, or maybe a woman who stepped in and loved us like a mama – I’ve included some gifts that have received rave reviews from the women in my life.
If there’s a gift that you’ve received (and loved) that’s not listed here, please share it in the comments below!
Handmade Gift Ideas
Family Photo Slideshow – My husband created a slideshow that automatically plays on our T.V. everyday, and it’s my favorite “handmade” gift of all time. I love how it reminds me of all the memories my family has made together, and it inspires me to keep making (and documenting!) new ones.
The “how” of creating the slideshow will vary based on your T.V. and technological setup, so part of the gift will probably include figuring that part out. For the technologically challenged, an inexpensive digital photo frame might be needed to display the slideshow. I prefer non-“smart” or Wifi-enabled options that use USB or SD cards instead. This one has lots of good reviews.
Butterfly Footprint Keepsake – When my kids were little I used their footprints to make “butterflies” on canvas. They make great wall art for grandparents or for you if someone in your family is artsy and wants to take on the project. 🙂
Lotion Bars – Luxurious and silky smooth, lotion bars melt slightly when rubbed against the warmth of your skin, leaving a layer of moisture that softens and protects. They are perfect both in the dry winter months and as a summertime after-sun soother. Many people find them especially helpful for dry patches on elbows, knees, feet and hands. I keep one in my purse, another one in a soap dish next to the kitchen sink for when I finish the dishes, and a few in my pantry to give away.
If these ideas are not quite what you’re looking for, you can more handmade gift inspiration here.
Gifts Under $30
1. Mo’ Maggie Magnesium Lotion– Magnesium is often called the “magic mineral” due to its ability to relax achy muscles, mitigate the effects of stress, and calm the mind by supporting the production of the neurotransmitter GABA. This study also suggests that magnesium may improve sleep quality by increasing melatonin levels and decreasing cortisol levels. Unfortunately for some people, magnesium oil can cause an itchy or uncomfortable sensation when applied in undiluted form. This magnesium lotion solves that by blending skin-calming ingredients like organic shea butter, argan seed oil, prickly pear seed oil with high potency transdermal magnesium.
3. Super Cute Photo Magnets – With just a couple of clicks you can easily turn your favorite photos from Instagram, Facebook, Dropbox or your computer into high-quality, color-rich square or round magnets for the fridge. Click here to save $5 with my coupon code (it will automatically fill in).
4. Beeswax Candles– Unlike paraffin candles – which release carcinogens like toluene and benzene into the air – beeswax candles burn clean and bright while releasing a faint honey scent. This candle is handmade with 100% beeswax and will burn for up to 45 hours.
5. Natural Bath Bombs Gift Set – Handmade in the United States using high quality ingredients like organic shea butter, Dead Sea salt, kaolin clay and essential oils like eucalyptus, vanilla and chamomile, these bath bombs are beautifully packaged for gifting.
6. Shower Scalp Massager– In addition to just feeling amazing, this scalp massager removes dandruff and/or hair product buildup and helps clear clogged follicles. (Clogged follicles impair normal hair growth.)
7. Purity Coffee (SAVE 20% WITH CODE MP20) – For the houses that run on laughter, love, and coffee. This is the only coffee I’ve found that is both organic and screened for mycotoxins and pesticides. Also, they use a unique roasting process that maximizes antioxidants while minimizing stuff your body doesn’t want like acrylamide.
8. 100% Silk Pillowcase – Cotton and polyester pillowcases create more friction on skin and hair than silk, which some people say contributes to morning puffiness and more frizzy hair for people with wavy or curly hair. Cotton also tends to absorb oil and bacteria, which may lead to breakouts for some people. Silk tends to absorb less, which is why some dermatologists recommend it for acne-prone or sensitive skin.
Gifts Under $50
1. Toups & Co Tallow Balm (SAVE 10% WITH CODE MP10)– Tallow is uniquely compatible with our skin’s biology, leaving it supple and nourished after use. My friend Emilie makes the best whipped tallow balm I’ve ever tried. It smells amazing, and she’s carefully formulated the essential oils in each blend to be safe for use on the face and with children. I’m using the Frankincense blend right now and I love it.
2. The Making Herbal Preparations 101 Course from Herbal Academy – Perfect for the curious beginner herbalist, this course covers the four basic categories of herbal preparations, 12 everyday safe herbs to use at home, and 33 DIY herbal recipes from teas and tinctures to salves and oils.
This course will guide you or your recipient through 7 convenient and compact lessons that are chock-full of hands-on activities, videos, and helpful herbal charts to guide them on their way to making herbal preparations at home.
Gifts Over $50
1. LUNA Weighted Blanket (SAVE 10% WITH CODE MP10) – Research shows that weighted blankets calm our sympathetic nervous system (fight or flight mode) and increase parasympathetic activity (rest and recuperation mode). They can be used during the day to increase a sense of well-being or at night for better sleep.
Made with soft 100% Okeo Tex cotton and glass beads, this machine-washable blanket comes in several sizes and weights for kids and adults. It’s designed to fit with one of their 100% cotton, removable (and therefore washable) duvet covers for easy cleaning. Click here to read more about the benefits of weighted blankets and how to choose a weight.
2. Lifepro Vibration Plate (SAVE $10 WITH CODE MP10) – My first experience with whole body vibration therapy was at a wellness clinic, and it made such a difference in my overall well-being that I bought one when I returned home. It supports detoxification (via lymphatic drainage) and calms the sympathetic (fight or flight) nervous system. It can also be used to amplify the effectiveness of exercise, and my husband and I use it for at-home workouts.
3. Alitura Skincare – Developed by Andy Hnilo, an actor/model whose jaw was broken in five places when he was hit by a car, these products were formulated it to help his scars heal and they did an amazing job. The ingredients are very clean. I especially like the night cream, which includes stem cells from the edelweiss plant and grass-fed colostrum. It’s incredibly rich and luxurious, and a little goes a long way.
4. DefenderShield Phone Case (SAVE 20% WITH CODE MP20) – Independently tested by the FCC, this phone case uses conductive, non-conductive and advanced absorption shielding materials together to block, divert, and absorb EMFs, Radio Frequency (RF) and heat radiation.
5. Personalized Spinner Ring (Sterling Silver) -My husband gave me a ring similar to this one with my kids names stamped on it years ago and I still absolutely love it.
6. Clean Wine – Dry Farm Wines offers curated collections of 6 or 12 bottles delivered directly to your (or your recipient’s) door. They offer an annual membership as a gift, but you can also buy individual boxes here.
As I mentioned in this post on the benefits of wine, it’s hands down the healthiest collection of wines I’ve ever found. Every wine they make is grown with organic practices and doesn’t contain Mega Purple food coloring or sawdust, which are just some of the 70+ approved additives used in conventional wine. Each bottle is virtually sugar-free, containing less than 1g/L of total sugars (including fructose and glucose).
Optional addition: A cute wine stopper with a card letting them know to expect a special delivery.
7. Bearaby Weighted Blanket – These handmade weighted blankets are made with a gorgeous chunky knit that’s as beautiful as it is functional. Bearaby uses organic cotton, and their blankets are washable. I’ve tested their cotton napper and my kids have tested their Nappling which is absolutely adorable. You can see them all here.
8. Sound + Sleep SE Noise Machine– If you’ve ever tried to drown out the sound of barking dogs, loud neighbors, or other disruptive sounds, you know how helpful sound machines can be for falling (and staying) asleep.
Unfortunately, white noise machines contain harsh, high-pitched frequencies that can actually raise cortisol levels, which is why many manufacturers have begun offering other (more soothing) colors of noise – particularly pink and brown.
In nature, you’ll find pink noise by listening to the sound of crashing waves or rustling leaves, while brown noise is deeper . . . think rumbling thunder or the low roar of a large waterfall.
With 64 settings, the Sound + Sleep SE pretty much has it all. Most of the settings are natural sounds that have been recorded in the environment – a few are fan sounds and such – but you won’t find any annoying or abrupt noises within the real-life recordings.
Here are some other reasons to consider it:
- It has an adaptive microphone, which means that if your environment gets louder it will increase volume to mask it.
- There are a range of pink and brown noises to try. For example, the water sounds are mostly brown noise with a little pink sprinkled in, and the plane setting is on the higher end of pink (close to white) which can be helpful for tinnitus.
- The front panel dims so you’re not getting loads of circadian-disrupting light at night.
- Can play continuous sound all night, but also comes with an optional timer that can be set for 30, 60, 90 or 120 minutes.
What did I miss? Please share your gift ideas in the comments below!