Remember When You Were In The Fifth Grade . . .
And it was fun to smash bananas in your hair, rub avocado all over your face and talk your bestie’s dad out of a foamy lager for the perfect shine-boosting rinse? I do, and it’s not because of all the explaining I had to do after coming home smelling like a Boston pub.
For most of us, though, the charm of recipes that turn brown after two hours, have to be stored in the fridge and require us to walk around looking like the creature from the black lagoon just isn’t there anymore . . . not to mention that many of them just don’t deliver.
This Mint Chocolate Body Butter is formulated with cacao powder, which diminishes the oily finish associated with many body butters and also serves as a light bronzer. Slather it on during the blah winter months or when shorts season hits for a little sunkissed glow!
Mint Chocolate Whipped Body Butter
- ½ cup organic cocoa butter (where to find cocoa butter)
- ½ cup organic mango or shea butter. You can also substitute another 1/2 cup cocoa butter. It will be a smidge less “light” when whipped up, but it is amazing! (where to find organic mango butter, where to find shea butter)
- ½ cup coconut oil (find coconut oil here)
- ½ cup jojoba or a mild olive oil. Almond oil can also be used but it will decrease shelf life because it is more vulnerable to oxidation. (Find jojoba oil here)
- 1 – 2 tsp peppermint essential oil, depending on preference (where to find peppermint essential oil)
- 2 tbsp pure cocoa or cacao powder. If you would prefer a “white chocolate” version that is not a bronzer, substitute arrowroot powder or non-GMO cornstarch. (Where to find cacao powder, where to find arrowroot powder, where to find non-GMO cornstarch)
- 2 tsp naturally derived vitamin E, optional (Where to find naturally derived, non-GMO vitamin E)
- Prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice and fitting a smaller bowl inside. The inside bowl needs to be able to hold at least 4-5 cups of liquid.
- Using a double boiler or a pot of boiling water with a smaller pot fitted inside, melt cocoa butter and mango butter over a low simmer.
- Add coconut oil and melt until completely liquid.
- Remove cocoa butter/coconut oil mixture from heat.
- Measure 5 teaspoons of cocoa powder into a small bowl and gradually add several tablespoons of jojoba/almond/olive oil. Mix thoroughly and then add to cocoa butter/coconut oil mixture along with remaining jojoba/almond/olive oil.
- Place mixture in chilled bowl (which should still be resting above the ice bowl) and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove mixture from ice bath and whip until stiff peaks form. If after a few minutes it does not seem to be thickening return the bowl to the ice bath and whip there.
- Store in an airtight jar – amber or cobalt are best but a clear jar is fine if kept out of direct sunlight (which promotes oxidation).
Video Tutorial: How to Make Mint Chocolate Whipped Body Butter
A Few Notes:
This recipe contains no preservatives, but the oils and butters themselves have been selected because they are naturally antimicrobial. Cold-pressed, high-quality oils are recommended as lower quality oils can go rancid quickly. Assuming quality oils are used this body butter can be expected to stay fresh at room temp between 3-6 months without the optional Vitamin E. With the Vitamin E it can stay fresh for up to a year. Always use clean hands when scooping out a little whipped decadence!
If this butter is stored in a very warm environment it will melt. No fear, though, just chill and re-whip into decadent body care goodness!
FREE Ebook: DIY Body Care Gifts Made Simple
Do you want to give gorgeous, handcrafted gifts for family and friends, without spending a bunch of time on them?
Then I’d love to give you a free copy of DIY Body Care Gifts Made Simple – my step-by-step guide to making gorgeous handcrafted gifts without stressing yourself out – as a gift for signing up for my newsletter. I’ll show you how to make vintage labels, luxurious lotion bars, lip balms, sugar scrubs, body sprays and more like a pro. Sign up for my newsletter and you’ll be redirected to the download page immediately!