This tried-and-true, super easy lip balm recipe moisturizes and protects with beeswax, natural cocoa butter and your choice of moisturizing oil. While it’s very soothing to chapped lips, it’s also light enough to be worn year-round.
If you’d like to whip up a batch to give as thoughtful (yet inexpensive!) gifts, here are the sticky labels I used for this project that you can customize with your “company name.” I go by Potamus & Co., but you can use your last name, a nickname, the name of a place that is meaningful to you (Such as Nashville Co. or Raleigh Co.), or any other word you desire.
Tip: Labels tend to peel away easily from lip balm tubes. To help them adhere better, I suggest wrapping a rubber band around the label after application and leaving it on overnight. Once the rubber band is removed the labels should stay put.
Homemade Lip Balm Recipe
- 2 tablespoons grated, packed cocoa butter (where to buy cocoa butter)
- 2 tablespoons tightly packed grated beeswax (where to buy beeswax)
- 1 tablespoon plus one teaspoon coconut, olive, sweet almond, or jojoba oil (where to buy olive oil, sweet almond oil, or jojoba oil)
- up to 30 drops essential oil (optional – spearmint, peppermint, sweet orange and tangerine are good options)*
- 1/8 teaspoon vitamin E (optional – where to buy naturally derived vitamin E)
* Not all essential oils are recommended for lip balm. Certain ones are phototoxic, while others may cause reactions such as irritation or sensitization. When selecting an essential oil for this recipe, I recommend sticking with ones that are known to be gentle.
- In a double boiler (or a stainless steel bowl set inside a pot of boiling water), melt cocoa butter and beeswax.
- Add in the olive/almond, or jojoba oil and stir until thoroughly melted.
- Remove from heat and – if you are using them – stir in essential oils and vitamin E.
- Pour liquid into lip balm tubes or tins and allow to cool. (Tip: Transferring the liquid to a measuring cup with a spout makes pouring much easier.)
Suggested Expiration Date
One year from the time it is produced.
Want a FREE Ebook Full of Homemade Body Care Gift Tutorials?
Do you want to give gorgeous, handcrafted gifts for family and friends, without spending a bunch of time on them?
Then I’d love to give you a free copy of DIY Body Care Gifts Made Simple – my step-by-step guide to making gorgeous handcrafted gifts without stressing yourself out – as a gift for signing up for my newsletter. I’ll show you how to make vintage labels, luxurious lotion bars, lip balms, sugar scrubs, body sprays and more like a pro. Sign up for my newsletter and you’ll be redirected to the download page immediately!