Southern recipes like chicken fried steak and homestyle stuffing have a special place in my heart, which is why I was so excited to receive a copy of my friend Kelly’s new cookbook, Everyday Grain-Free Baking. She’s got a gift for transforming favorite dishes from childhood into delightful grain-free and refined-sugar-free creations, and her Southern-style strawberry shortcake biscuits do not disappoint! Kelly has graciously agreed to let me share them with you, so get ready to fall in love with a new recipe.
Simple yet decadent, these biscuits are proof that gluten-free baking can be delicious and easy. We top them with heaping spoonfuls of juicy strawberries and a dollop of homemade whipped coconut cream (or whipped cream) for a wholesome sweet treat – my kids adore them!
If fresh or frozen strawberries aren’t available, don’t worry. Just about any fruit will work – try bananas, kiwi, peaches, blackberries, raspberries, or whatever sounds good to you.
About Everyday Grain-Free Baking
From breads, biscuits and muffins to savory snacks and decadent treats, you’ll find step-by-step instructions, beautiful color photographs and helpful tips & tidbits to make all of your gluten-free baking adventures a delicious success. My family loves the banana bread, double chocolate cream pie, apple cinnamon crisp and snickerdoodles, plus staples like sandwich bread and dinner rolls.
Click here to order Kelly’s beautiful new cookbook.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Everyday Grain-Free Baking
Strawberry Shortcake Biscuits (Grain-Free, Dairy-Free)
- Shortcake Biscuits
- 2½ cups blanched almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup butter or coconut oil melted
- 1 tablespoon pure honey
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract how to make vanilla extract
- Strawberry Topping
- 1 pound fresh ripe strawberries or thawed frozen berries
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Optional: Whipped Coconut Cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- For the Biscuits: In a small bowl, combine almond flour, baking soda, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together melted butter or coconut oil and honey until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla, whisking together until well combined. Using a spoon, stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture until thoroughly combined. Place dough in fridge to cool about 10 minutes.
- For the Strawberry Topping: Slice the strawberries and toss with honey. If using, prepare the whipped coconut cream. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Once biscuit dough is chilled, scoop a large spoonful of batter into your hands and roll into a ball about the size of an apricot; repeat until you have made six. Place the dough balls on the parchment-lined baking sheet and gently flatten using the palm of your hand.
- Bake about 15 minutes, until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Split the warm biscuits in half and top with a couple of heaping spoonfuls of strawberry topping and a dollop of whipped coconut cream, if desired. A delightful treat for breakfast or dessert!