Tip: After you make this recipe don’t throw away the banana peels! They contain magnesium & potassium (which help to relax muscles) and an amino acid that helps make serotonin (a relaxing neurotransmitter) & melatonin (often called the sleep hormone), so use them instead to make banana tea for restful sleep.
Have you ever been taunted by a “Fresh Pies” sign? I have, and like all the locals I knew it was “freshly” thawed from a box and loaded with high fructose corn syrup, trans fats, and food dye. Still, every time I passed the sign near my old neighborhood the banana cream pie called my name, and eventually I decided to get it over with and my own wholesome version.
Being eleventy-billion months pregnant at the time, I wasn’t in the mood for anything complicated. Rich in healthy fats and natural sweeteners, the recipe below was exactly what I needed. It takes just a few minutes to make and layers beautifully into a glass jar – I used these tulip jars, but the recipe also fits perfectly into a 4-ounce mason jar.
My kids don’t care what it looks like, but the pretty layered jars always seem to go over well when I serve this recipe to guests. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Banana Cream Pie Cups Recipe (Gluten-Free)
- 2 cups whipping cream (if dairy-free, chill 2-3 cans of coconut cream and scoop off the cream at the top until you have 2 cups)
- 2 medium bananas (plus an extra few slices for garnish if desired)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (to taste)
- 1/8 tbsp natural yellow food coloring (optional)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract (or use homemade vanilla extract)
- ¼ cup blanched almond flour
- 2 medjool dates (whole and pitted)
- ½ tsp filtered water
- Place dates in the food processor along with the almond flour and water.
- Process on high for one minute.
- Sprinkle the contents evenly in 4 cups and press down until formed into a crust.
- Cream ToppingPlace 1 cup of cream and 1 tablespoon maple syrup in a blender and blend until thickened into whipped cream.
- Scoop out and set aside.
- Banana FillingPlace bananas, 1 cup cream, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and several drops of natural vanilla food coloring (if using) into the blender and blend until thickened.
- Divide the filling between the four cups, then top with whipped cream.
- Can be served right away for a light, airy treat, but it becomes thicker and more delicious if chilled for a few hours before serving.
- Garnish with extra banana slices if desired.