Have you ever been taunted by a “Fresh Pies” sign? I have, and like all the locals I knew it was “freshly” thawed from a box and loaded with high fructose corn syrup, trans fats, and food dye.
Still, every time I passed the sign the banana cream pie called my name, and eventually I decided to get it over with and my own wholesome version.
Being eleventy-billion months pregnant at the time, I wasn’t in the mood for anything complicated. Rich in healthy fats and natural sweeteners, the recipe below was exactly what I needed.
My kids don’t care what it looks like, but the pretty layered jars always seem to go over well when I serve this recipe to guests. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Tip: Keep Your Banana Peels
Whenever I make these banana cream pie cups I toss the banana peels in the freezer for later. They contain:
- Magnesium & potassium (which help to relax muscles)
- An amino acid that helps make serotonin (a relaxing neurotransmitter)
- Melatonin (often called the sleep hormone)
. . . so use them to make this banana tea for restful sleep.
Banana Cream Pie Cups Recipe (Gluten-Free)
- 2 cups whipping cream (if dairy-free, chill 2-3 cans of coconut cream and scoop off the cream at the top until you have 2 cups)
- 2 medium bananas (plus an extra few slices for garnish if desired)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (to taste)
- 1/8 tbsp natural yellow food coloring (optional)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract (or use homemade vanilla extract)
- ¼ cup blanched almond flour
- 2 medjool dates (whole and pitted)
- ½ tsp filtered water
- Place dates in the food processor along with the almond flour and water.
- Process on high for one minute.
- Sprinkle the contents evenly in 4 cups and press down until formed into a crust.
- Cream ToppingPlace 1 cup of cream and 1 tablespoon maple syrup in a blender and blend until thickened into whipped cream.
- Scoop out and set aside.
- Banana FillingPlace bananas, 1 cup cream, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and several drops of natural vanilla food coloring (if using) into the blender and blend until thickened.
- Divide the filling between the four cups, then top with whipped cream.
- Can be served right away for a light, airy treat, but it becomes thicker and more delicious if chilled for a few hours before serving.
- Garnish with extra banana slices if desired.
More Creamy Dessert Recipes
Chocolate Pudding – Silky smooth, creamy and totally satisfying, this chocolate pudding is one of my favorite easy dessert recipes. It uses fresh avocado as the base, which sounds weird but really makes the perfect creamy base for yummy, chocolatey pudding.
Gluten-Free Lemon Bars – Tart and sweet, these lemon bars are like little squares of sunshine on a plate. They’re made with a chewy, lemon-zest infused crust that’s topped with an extra-thick layer of melt-in-your-mouth creamy lemon filling.
Want more delicious, easy recipes?
No problem, I’ve created a free ebook for you – 35+ Gluten-Free Desserts – as a gift for signing up for my newsletter. Every Sunday you’ll get recipes, actionable health tips, and highly-vetted product recommendations delivered fresh to your inbox.
Sign up using the form below.