Tip: After you make this recipe don’t throw away the banana peels! They contain magnesium & potassium (which help to relax muscles) and an amino acid that helps make serotonin (a relaxing neurotransmitter) & melatonin (often called the sleep hormone), so use them instead to make banana tea for restful sleep.
Have you ever been taunted by a “Fresh Pies” sign? I have, and like all the locals I knew it was “freshly” thawed from a box and loaded with high fructose corn syrup, trans fats and food dye. Still, every time I passed the sign near my old neighborhood the banana cream pie called my name, and eventually I decided to get it over with and my own wholesome version.
Being eleventy billion months pregnant at the time, I wasn’t in the mood for anything complicated. Rich in healthy fats and natural sweeteners, the recipe below was exactly what I needed. It takes just a few minutes to make and layers beautifully into a glass jar – I used these tulip jars, but the recipe also fits perfectly into a 4 ounce mason jar.
My kids don’t care what it looks like, but the pretty layered jars always seem to go over well when I serve this recipe to guests. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Banana Cream Pie Cups Recipe (Gluten-Free, Paleo)
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 medium bananas (plus an extra few slices for garnish if desired)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (to taste)
- 1/8 tbsp natural yellow food coloring (optional)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract (or use homemade vanilla extract)
- ¼ cup blanched almond flour
- 2 medjool dates (whole and pitted)
- ½ tsp filtered water
- To make the crust: Place dates in the food processor along with the almond flour and water. Process on high for one minute, then sprinkle the contents evenly in 4 cups and press down until formed into a crust.
- To make the cream topping: Place 1 cup of cream and 1 tablespoon maple syrup in a blender and blend until thickened into whipped cream. Scoop out and set aside.
- To make the filling: Place bananas, 1 cup cream, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and several drops of natural vanilla food coloring (if using) into the blender and blend until thickened. Divide the filling between the four cups, then top with whipped cream. Can be served right away for a light, airy treat, but it becomes thicker and (in my opinion more delicious) if chilled for a few hours before serving. Garnish with extra banana slices if desired.