Remember when summer seemed to stretch on forever?
Sleeping in, spending afternoons by the pool, and hitting up the local mall for an Orange Julius – a creamsicle flavored mix of corn syrup solids and artificial flavors – were a few of my favorite activities. It’s time to bring the magic back, y’all.
Want to take the nutrient content up a notch?
I always add in gelatin, which is rich in amino acids like glycine and proline, to boost the nutrient value of this summer treat. Glycine supports restful sleep and detoxification, and the two together support collagen production, which helps skin look its best. Make sure to opt for grass-fed gelatin hydrolysate, which doesn’t clump in cold liquids like regular gelatin does.
Also, if you have them on hand, you can take the nutrient content up a notch, by adding powdered probiotics (I use GutPro), additional vitamin C in the form of baobob fruit powder (I use about 1/4 teaspoon), or 2-3 pastured egg yolks, which are often referred to as “Natures Multivitamin” because they’re rich in so many important vitamins and minerals. (Not sure about adding egg yolks? I cover why I’m comfortable with it here, but if you want you can softly boil them before adding them in.)
Copycat Orange Julius Recipe
- 2 oranges (peeled and deseeded -if necessary)
- 1 frozen banana (peeled before freezing)
- ½ cup cream
- 2-4 egg yolks (from pastured chickens – optional, can use raw or cooked)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (you can make your own vanilla extract)
- 1-2 tbsp gelatin hydrolysate (which is the kind that doesn't clump in cold liquids)
- maple syrup (or raw honey)