Are you ready to dive into a plate of perfectly seasoned fajitas – with all your favorite toppings, of course – while keeping your weeknight meal prep super simple? With these sheet pan chicken fajitas there’s no need to marinate or stand over a hot skillet. Just toss a few ingredients together, spread them onto a sheet pan, bake and boom – you’ve got an easy meal with authentic flavors and high quality ingredients.
You’re basically using one bowl and one pan so cleanup is a cinch, and since the actual cooking part is hands-off you can use that time to whip up guacamole, salsa, a fresh salad, or whatever is needed to complete your meal.
If your oven has enough room, I highly recommend doubling, tripling, or even quadrupling this recipe for guests. It’s one of my go to meals when I’m hosting because it’s quick, delicious, and easy for everyone to customize with their preferred sides and toppings.
Speaking of side and toppings, here are some of our favorites:
- Warm tortillas – These soft gluten-free tortillas are similar to the flour tortillas I grew up eating in Tex-Mex country, which is to say that they work well in everything from fajitas to chicken caesar salad wraps. They’re simple to make can be frozen for quick meals throughout the week.
- Lettuce leaves to use as a wrap
- Mixed greens (if serving as a salad)
- Mexican rice – Also called Spanish rice, this garlicky, tomatoey side dish is so flavorful and easy.
- Pico de gallo or homemade salsa
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Lime wedges
- Make your chicken and veggies are similar in thickness so that they cook at the same rate.
- If you don’t have a rimmed baking sheet, you can two large baking dishes instead. The goal is to get a nice, even layer so that the veggies and chicken become caramelized instead of soggy.
- This recipe does have a bit of kick, but even my littlest loves it. However, if you or a family member is very sensitive to spicy food you may want to reduce the amount of chili pepper you use.
- Although no marinating time is needed, the oil/spice mixture and chicken/veggies can be prepped in the morning for a quick meal later that day. Just mix everything together in a large bowl, cover with a moist towel, and chill in the fridge until you’re ready to bake.
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- rimmed baking sheet
Fajita Seasoning + Oil Mixture
Meat + Veggies Mix
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced into 1/4 inch slices)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (sliced into 1/4 inch slices)
- 1 green bell pepper (sliced into 1/4 inch slices)
- 1 small red or yellow onion (sliced into 1/4 inch slices)
- 1½ pounds chicken breasts (cut into thin strips)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl, add the oil, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, salt, oregano, black pepper, and cayenne (if using). Stir until well combined.
- Add veggie slices and chicken strips to the bowl and mix until they are well coated with the oil/spice mixture.
- Place the chicken and veggies on a baking sheet in an even later.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked. Once the chicken is finished cooking, you can turn your oven to broil and place the pan close to the broiler for 2-5 minutes. This step is optional, but I like it because it browns the chicken and adds color to the veggies.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Sprinkle with lime juice if using, then serve.
More Easy Weeknight Meals
Instant Pot Taco Meat – This flavorful recipe can be quickly made with frozen ground beef – no thawing needed! It’s easy, kid approved, and perfect for busy schedules.
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken – With a sticky, sweet and savory sauce and tender chicken, this Instant Pot teriyaki chicken makes a delicious and easy dinner.
Homemade Chicken Nuggets – I’m always looking for ways to save time in the kitchen, so awhile ago I skipped a couple of steps while making our favorite chicken nugget recipe. Y’all, no one noticed. They gobbled them down and asked for more. When I need a quick meal, I often serve these chicken nuggets with my super quick homemade ranch dressing. The ranch serves as a dipping sauce for the nuggets and a dressing for a big salad that I toss together quickly.