My kids have some odd requests for birthday cakes . . . and I use that term loosely. There have been cookie dough ice cream sandwich requests, creme brulee, and even fudgy brownies. Occasionally we sneak an actual birthday cake in, but mostly it’s something else.
A few years ago my son requested key lime pie.
Now, I’d made key lime pie popsicles before, but never a pie. And since I didn’t want to use sweetened condensed milk I wasn’t really sure where to start.
After a few failures – including one that was declared “not limey” by my littles and another one that never thickened – I landed on this RIDICULOUSLY easy no-bake recipe.
The filling is sweet, tart, and so ridiculously creamy, and this year we decided to swap out our boring(ish) old crust recipe for one made with these homemade graham crackers. I am absolutely delighted by the result – the graham cracker crumb crust balances the smooth texture of the lime filling, and it all comes together so easily.
I hope you love it as much as we do!
No Bake Key Lime Pie Recipe (Gluten-Free)
- high powered blender*
- pie dish
Gluten-Free Graham Cracker Crust Ingredients
- 10 oz. homemade gluten-free graham crackers or store-bought graham crackers (By weight – a full batch of my homemade recipe is about 12 ounces)
- 8 tbsp butter
Key Lime Pie Filling Ingredients
- ⅔ cup key lime juice (you can also use regular limes)
- 4-6 tbsp lime zest (depending on how intense you want the lime flavor to be)
- 2 cups raw cashews
- ⅔ cup organic honey
- ½ cup expeller-pressed coconut oil
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- ⅙ tsp sea salt
- ⅙ tsp vanilla extract (how to make vanilla extract)
- additional honey or lime zest to taste if desired
- coconut whipped cream for topping (optional)
2 Hours Before
- Place the cashews in a heat resistant large bowl.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil and pour it over the cashews.
To Make The Pie Crust
- Break the graham crackers into large pieces and place them in a food processor. Sprinkle the palm shortening/butter pieces over the crackers and pulse until well-combined. The graham crackers will first grind into a flour-like consistency and then form a crumb-like texture as they mix with the palm shortening/butter.
- Sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs evenly over a pie plate and press them into place with your hands. Place the pie crust in the fridge to chill while you work on the filling.
To Make The Filling
- Drain the cashews, then place them in the blender.
- Place lime juice, 4 tablespoons of zest, 2/3 cup honey, 1/2 cup melted coconut oil and 2 tablespoons coconut cream in the blender with the cashews.
- Blend on high until smooth. Taste and add more lime zest if desired – I used 6 tablespoons in mine, but you may prefer more or less.
- Pour filling into the pie crust and smooth the top with a butter knife or spatula.
- Place the pie pan in the freezer for at least three hours, or more if needed to achieve a firm consistency.
- Top with coconut whipped cream if desired (we like ours without), then serve. Store leftovers in the fridge if you like a softer filling and freezer if you like a firmer filling.
More Yummy Dessert Recipes To Try
Gluten-Free Lemon Bars – These little squares of sunshine are made with a chewy, lemon infused crust that’s topped with an extra-thick layer of melt-in-your-mouth creamy lemon filling.
Dairy-Free Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream – Creamy and minty with just the right amount of chocolatey goodness, this dairy-free ice cream has the smooth, rich texture of the real deal.
Gluten-Free Banana Bread – This chewy, delicious blender banana bread Is SO EASY to make. Just blend, pour into a loaf pan, sprinkle with chopped nuts, and bake!
Dairy-Free Caramel Sauce – This caramel sauce is super easy to make, lusciously thick, and so delicious. Use it as a dip for sliced apples, drizzle it over coffee ice cream, stir it into coffee, or pour it over fudgy brownies.
Want more delicious, easy recipes?
No problem, I’ve created a free ebook for you – 35+ Gluten-Free Desserts – as a gift for signing up for my newsletter. Every Sunday you’ll get recipes, actionable health tips, and highly-vetted product recommendations delivered fresh to your inbox.
Sign up using the form below.