This Peruvian chicken recipe is a simple one-pan dish that’s both beautiful and tasty. The savory flavor of cumin and paprika melds beautifully with sweet onions and peppers, and the chicken soaks up all the juicy goodness from the pan as it bakes. My family loves this recipe served over a big green salad or rice, and I love the easy cleanup.
Peruvian Chicken Recipe
- 1 ½ tsp ghee or coconut oil (plus more for oiling the pan)
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1 ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp plus 2 tsp lime juice
- 2 large sweet onions (peeled and thickly sliced)
- 2 lbs chicken breast (cut into 10 strips)
- 2 red bell peppers (cored, seeded and cut into chunks)
- 1 lemon (sliced into thin circular pieces)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a small bowl mix paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic, lime juice and ghee/oil to form a paste.
- In a large bowl toss onions with 2 tablespoons of the paste and place them in the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Place bell peppers over the onions.
- Rub chicken pieces with the remaining paste and place in the pan, then place the sliced lemons on top.
- Place the pan in the oven and cook, occasionally basting with pan juices, until chicken is fully cooked and vegetables are tender (about 45 minutes).