If you love quick, healthy meals but haven’t tried making shredded chicken in an Instant Pot yet, you’re missing out on one of the best time-saving kitchen hacks ever. Juicy and flavorful, this recipe is so versatile – you can cook and use it right away or store it in the freezer for easy meals throughout the week.
There are SO MANY ways to use shredded chicken to simplify meal prep. I make a couple of batches most weeks to use in a wide range of meals, including:
- Chicken tacos with this taco seasoning, these gluten-free tortillas, and your favorite fixings (sour cream, onions, guacamole, avocados, fresh salsa, etc.)
- Chicken Caesar wraps
- Mix with this maple chipotle BBQ sauce to make BBQ stuffed sweet potatoes, sandwiches or a flavorful salad (or use it as a pizza topping)
- Easy chicken salad with apples
- Coconut lime chicken curry soup
- Chicken tortilla soup
- Gluten-free chicken pot pie
- Enchiladas or quesadillas
- Casseroles (this chicken and rice one, for example)
Easy Instant Pot Shredded Chicken (Fresh or Frozen Meat)
- 1 hand mixer
- measuring spoons
- 1 slotted spoon
- silicone bags or other storage containers
- Pour chicken broth/water into the pressure cooker and place the chicken breasts inside. There’s no need to add a trivet – cooking the chicken breast in the liquid makes it more juicy and tender.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and any additional seasonings you desire. I typically just add salt/pepper so that the flavor remains neutral and it can be used in a wide variety of recipes.
- Place the lid on top and set the valve to sealing.
- Cook at high pressure for 10 minutes for fresh chicken and 15 for frozen chicken. When the time is up, allow the Instant Pot to depressurize naturally for 10 minutes, then allow any remaining pressure to vent by turning the valve to “venting.” I typically use a long handled spoon to move it just in case it releases a burst of hot steam.
- If you have a hand mixer, you can shred the chicken right in the Instant Pot by turning the mixer on low. Another option is to use tongs or a fork to transfer the chicken breasts to a plate and shred them with a fork. When I use the second method I usually let them cool for a little while so that I can use clean hands to pull apart big chunks before shredding. Return the chicken to the Instant Pot so that it can soak up some of the juices that it cooked in.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop the cooked chicken out of the Instant Pot – taking a second to let any excess juice drip back down – and then use right away or transfer to an airtight container. I use these silicone bags to store pre-cooked shredded chicken in the freezer for easy meal prep throughout the week.
More Pressure Cooker Recipes To Try
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken Recipe – With a sticky, sweet and savory sauce and tender chicken, this recipe makes a delicious and easy meal.
Instant Pot Taco Meat – This recipe can be quickly made with frozen ground beef – no thawing needed! It’s easy, kid-approved, and perfect for busy weeknights.
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken – This recipe yields juicy, flavorful white meat, fully-cooked dark meat, and with just five minutes under the broiler you can still get the crispy, golden brown outside, too.
Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala – This easy recipe folds tender marinated chicken into a rich, aromatic, creamy curry sauce made with garam masala, diced tomatoes, fresh ginger and more.
Instant Pot Pulled Pork – Tender and full of flavor, this pulled pork is perfect for sandwiches!
Instant Pot Chicken Soup Recipe – This recipe for belly-warming soup was declared one of the most satisfying and flavorful ever by my husband, and it’s so easy to make!
Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast – Once upon a time, a little recipe published in a small town church cookbook became a viral sensation. It’s no surprise really, once you taste the melt-in-your-mouth combination of tender roast blended with the rich flavors of ranch seasoning and tangy pepperoncini peppers. This gluten-free version is made without seasoning packets, which often contain ingredients like artificial flavors.